PTSD and Trauma Related Counseling
Have you experienced a traumatic event? Many people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s being a witness or victim in a violent criminal act, an accident, abuse or neglect, death, a loss of some type, exposure to war, or a natural disaster.
Trauma may leave a person to experience long lasting effects causing them to live with emotional pain, anxiety, fear, or posttraumatic stress well after the event has passed.
Trauma Symptoms can be broken down into four categories
- Avoidance Symptoms
- Avoiding certain locations, situations that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Re-experiencing Symptoms
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Hyperarousal Symptoms
- Anger, irritability and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
- Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
There are a variety of treatments that can be used to treat trauma. However, there are two specific techniques that I use that are consistently gaining research-based evidence of their effectiveness in successfully treating trauma.
- Cognitive Processing Therapy – This modality focuses on how a person perceives a traumatic event and processes it. A therapist can help their client work through stuck points, which are certain thoughts related to the trauma that prevent the person from recovering.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – CBT is a form of talk therapy that focuses on how thoughts, feelings and behaviors are related to one another. The goal of a CBT therapist is to help a client with trauma return to a place of hope with a greater sense of being in control of their thoughts and behaviors.
If you or a loved one suffer with PTSD and would like to explore treatment options, please reach out to me. I have personally seen amazing transformation through therapy and want to offer the help you need to enjoy life again.